You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users.
1+ paragraphs on any combination of the following:
* Add information/discussion about non-brain "functions" of sleep (e.g., metabolism, immune function) with their time scales
* Add Other brain "functions" of sleep to include are: mood/psychiatry; objective neurobehavioral performance; "cleaning" of toxic substances (glymphatics); neurochemistry
* What are target/pivot points for changing some aspect of sleep?
* How to define and then study sleep "need"? Is it different for each function? with age? How does it interact with sleep duration or timing of sleep?
* Feedback between sleep and circadian rhythms; not just one way circadian-> sleep
* Two comments from discussion:
** Comment: Frame the “needs” of sleep not as competitive with each other but as parallel.
** Comment: Not all functions of sleep bring you back to where you were before; some are to bring to a new state (e.g., learning, immune)