Population and the Environment: Analytical Demography and Applied Population Ethics/ChristopherCowie
Notes by user Christopher Cowie (Durham Univ.) for Population and the Environment: Analytical Demography and Applied Population Ethics
1+ paragraphs on any combination of the following:
- Presentation highlights
- Open questions that came up
- How your perspective changed
- Impact on your own work
- e.g. the discussion on [A] that we are having reminds me of [B] conference/[C] initiative/[D] funding call-for-proposal/[E] research group
Highlights: People genuinely seeming to care about philosophy.
Open questions that came up: questions about the nature of duties to merely potential people and the application of my approach to personal choices as well as public policy choices.
How your perspective changed: I wouldn't say my perspective changed. But I now think I was wrong to assimilate personal choices as well as public policy choices in my approach.
Impact on your own work: A bit more clarity on the above, as well as on the sense of should used to frame my questions (= should of morality not of rationality).
Reference material notes
- Here is [A] database on [B] that I pull data from to do [C] analysis that might be of interest to this group (insert link).
- Here is a free tool for calculating [ABC] (insert link)
- This painting/sculpture/forms of artwork is emblematic to our discussion on [X]!
- Schwartz et al. 2017 offers a review on [ABC] migration as relate to climatic factors (add the reference as well).
Hilary Greaves. Population Axiology. Philosophy Compass. (2017). A nice summary of some of the core issues in population axiology.
Mike Huemer. In Defense of Repugnance. Mind (2007). A more in-depth discussion of one of the controversial views in population axiology.
|Title||Author name||Source name||Year||Citation count From Scopus. Refreshed every 5 days.||Page views||Related file|
|In defence of repugnance||Michael Huemer||Mind||2008||39||5|
|Population axiology||Hilary Greaves||Philosophy Compass||2017||16||7|
Presenter on the following Agenda items
- Presentation file
- Related files