Irreversible Processes in Ecological Evolution/DervisCanVural
Notes by user Dervis Can Vural (Univ. Notre Dame) for Irreversible Processes in Ecological Evolution
1+ paragraphs on any combination of the following:
- Presentation highlights
- Open questions that came up
- How your perspective changed
- Impact on your own work
- e.g. the discussion on [A] that we are having reminds me of [B] conference/[C] initiative/[D] funding call-for-proposal/[E] research group
Succession of species on hydrogel microspheres. Otto uses spheres with four kinds of nutrition. Questions: (1) why are species either specialist (able to digest only one type of sphere) or generalist (able to digest all types). (2) Why don't the cheaters (those who do not produce digestive enzymes) take over. (3) Prima facie, one would expect cheaters to have much lower detachment rate. They should just stick onto spheres and wait for the digestive bacteria to arrive. For the bacteria doing the work a better strategy is to detach quicker, at least before cheaters arrive. Is this observed in experiments?
Reference material notes
- Here is [A] database on [B] that I pull data from to do [C] analysis that might be of interest to this group (insert link).
- Here is a free tool for calculating [ABC] (insert link)
- This painting/sculpture/forms of artwork is emblematic to our discussion on [X]!
- Schwartz et al. 2017 offers a review on [ABC] migration as relate to climatic factors (add the reference as well).
|Title||Author name||Source name||Year||Citation count From Scopus. Refreshed every 5 days.||Page views||Related file|
|The organization and control of an evolving interdependent population||Dervis C. Vural, Alexander Isakov, L. Mahadevan||Journal of the Royal Society Interface||2015||3||1|
|Increased Network Interdependency Leads to Aging||Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics||2013||0||0|
|Shearing in flow environment promotes evolution of social behavior in microbial populations||Gurdip Uppal, Dervis Can Vural||eLife||2018||0||0|
Presenter on the following Agenda items
- Related files