Population and the Environment: Analytical Demography and Applied Population Ethics/IzaRomanowska
Notes by user Iza Romanowska (Barcelona Supercomputing Center) for Population and the Environment: Analytical Demography and Applied Population Ethics
1+ paragraphs on any combination of the following:
- Presentation highlights
- Open questions that came up
- How your perspective changed
- Impact on your own work
- e.g. the discussion on [A] that we are having reminds me of [B] conference/[C] initiative/[D] funding call-for-proposal/[E] research group
Many thanks for the most wonderful opportunity to learn from and engage with an incredible group of researchers. It would be preposterous to limit the list of things I've learnt to one. C. Cowie's presentation on population axiology has opened up an area of inquiry that I was not even aware existed. M. Shenk's paper was probably the clearest introduction to demography I could wish for, similarly to L. Hunter's talk on migration. All the talks on mathematical underpinnings of some of the questions raised (and especially S. Levin's) were pitched at such a low level that even non-math folks like me could follow (THANK YOU!) which is much appreciated. I could go on but shifting to the 'how are you planning on using what you've learnt?' question. The socio-natural model presented by C. Lee has a good potential for being an absolute game changer for my research. It really opened up new avenue for linking environmental variables to demography that I was not aware of previously. Stay tuned!
Reference material notes
- Here is [A] database on [B] that I pull data from to do [C] analysis that might be of interest to this group (insert link).
- Here is a free tool for calculating [ABC] (insert link)
- This painting/sculpture/forms of artwork is emblematic to our discussion on [X]!
- Schwartz et al. 2017 offers a review on [ABC] migration as relate to climatic factors (add the reference as well).
|Title||Author name||Source name||Year||Citation count From Scopus. Refreshed every 5 days.||Page views||Related file|
|Evolution and climate variability||Richard Potts||Science||1996||142||7|